The Best Skin-Safe, Reef-Safe Sunscreens
by Jenna Bricher
With summer just around the corner, it's time to soak up the sun and enjoy all the outdoor activities that come with it. As you plan your beach trips, poolside lounging, and tropical getaways, we want to help you make a conscious choice for both your skin and the environment. That's why we've curated a list of the best reef-safe sunscreens that provide superior protection while being kind to our precious coral reefs.
As we've put together this list, we considered these four main criteria:
1. They're free of oxybenzone and octinoxate - the chemicals known to cause coral bleaching and harm marine organisms
2. They're formulated with non-nano, mineral-based ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These large particle minerals (too big to be absorbed by the skin) provide effective protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays while being gentle on your skin and the environment.
3. They're water-resistant. Each of these options allow up to 80 minutes of water/sweat resistance before needing to be reapplied.
4. Recyclable packaging.
1. Let's start with our favorite: Stream2Sea Sport Sunscreen
Beyond passing reef-safe/skin-safe testing with flying colors, Stream2Sea also participates in a collaboration called Crazy for Corals, an effort to renew coral populations by committing to planting 10,000 corals.
2. MyChelle Sun Shield
Eco experts have claimed that aerosol sunscreens can be harmful to the environment since some of the product can be taken by the wind and land in places it wasn't intended for. With that in mind, apply this sunscreen inside or in a protected area - the aerosol ease of application may be worth the extra effort. And the can? Once you're finished with it, if your local recycling program doesn't support the recycling of this product, MyChelle will send you a package so you can have them dispose of the container for you, free of charge :)
3. COOLA Mineral Body Organic Sunscreen
COOLA commits to their 'Farm to Face' motto - meaning they know where all of their ingredients are sourced from. Beyond their commitment to responsible sourcing, they promise their products are made from at least 70% organic materials.
4. Thrive Bodyshield
This non-greasy, white-residue free option boasts a list of regenerative super-plants among its ingredients so it's good for your skin while being eco-friendly. On top of all that, a portion of the proceeds contribute to reviving farmland in Costa Rica - a win for the rainforest, too!
We encourage you to consider these sunscreens for your summer adventures. By choosing reef-safe options, you not only protect your skin but also contribute to the preservation of our fragile marine ecosystems.
Feel free to share this list with your friends and family, helping spread awareness about responsible sun care and its positive impact on the environment.
Want to learn more about our sustainable swimwear? Click here.